Thursday, March 10, 2011

Intermediate Painting [Winter 2011]

"Two Satyrs" (WIP)
2011
26" x 30" Oil on Canvas (hand stretched)

The original piece, "Two Satyrs", is by Peter Paul Rubens, the father of the Baroque style. Our assignment was to choose a Baroque, pre-Raphaelite painting to recreate, and add a contemporary twist. This is my work-in-progress. The satyr in the background will be enjoying a Guinness while wearing his hanna hat.


"Banana Split" (WIP)
2011
24" x 36" Oil on Canvas

This is the pencil work for my final in Intermediate Painting. We needed the four elements (air, earth, fire, water), an inside/outside composition and a mysterious element to the story being portrayed. I turned my into a double self-portrait, illustrating the conflict we all have within ourselves. I've recently been reading about the psychological 'Wizard archetype' written about by a Jung Institute graduate. I had drawn this piece up before a friend suggested the reading, but it makes more sense than it should. It's kind of interesting to see the things our subconscious knows well before the conscious self does.

No comments:

Post a Comment